Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Glazed Red Berry Pie

This recipe has been setting in my recipes to fix box for most of this summer when it arrived in the summer edition of Kraft's Food & Family. It was a great recipe, but sadly my skills were put to the test and came up short. The pie filling, which consists of Raspberry Jello Gelatin, raspberries, and strawberries was really good. It was the crust that really disappointed me, it was my first attempt at making a pre-baking a pie crust and it came out really tough and chewy. Now this is in no way a reflection of the recipe, but just my skills and making pie crusts that require bake time before being filled. I know there is a bit of an art to pies and I would like to be come proficient in them, but for health reasons I will not be spending a lot of time doing so.

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
1 pkg. (3 oz.) Jell-O Raspberry Flavor Gelatin
3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 baked pie crust (9 inch)
1/2 cup thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping

Directions
Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water until well blended. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 min. Remove from heat. Add dry gelatin mix; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Stir in fruit.
Fill crust with fruit mixture. Refrigerate 3 hours or until filling is firm.
Top with Cool Whip just before serving.

Makes 8 servings; Prep 10 min.; Total 3 hours 20 minutes
Kraft's Notes
Pie can be prepared using a frozen deep-dish pie crust. Bake as directed on package; cool. Fill as directed.
Healthy Living: Save 40 calories per serving by preparing with Jell-O Raspberry Flavor Sugar Free Gelatin and Cool Whip Lite Whipped Topping.


Sig

2 comments:

  1. Great looking pie! I love Kraft Food and Family. Definitely a magazine I always look forward to getting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy getting their Magazine, it makes seasonal cooking so much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...