I love lasagna, so when I saw that there was a recipe in Deceptively Delicious, I had to try it. Now this would be my first attempt at what appears to be a pretty intricate Italian dish, but the recipe is very easy to follow and the results were great.
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pound lean ground turkey or sirloin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper 1 tbsp all-purpose or whole-wheat flour
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 (26 ounce) or 2 (15 ounce) cans whole, peeled tomatoes, with their juice
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup cauliflower puree
1 (8 ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8x12 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. For the meat filling, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil. Add the turkey or beef, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and half of the garlic, stir, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Off the heat, stir in the sour cream, sweet potato puree, and half (1/4 cup) of the Parmesan; set aside.
3. For the sauce, combine the tomatoes and juice, the onion, and the remaining garlic and Parmesan (1/4 cup) in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a bowl or large measuring cup. Or use jarred sauce and just add Parmesan.
4. In the same blender or food processor, blend the cottage cheese, egg white, and cauliflower puree until smooth; set aside.
5. Too assemble the lasagna, spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. layer about one-third of the noodle on top, covering the sauce completely. Spread the meat filling over them. (If you are going meat-less, just add a first layer of cottage cheese.) cover with another one-third of the noodles and then spread all of the cottage cheese mixture ore them. make another layer with the rest of the noodles and spoon the remaining tomato sauce over the top. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella.
6. Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and bake until the cheese has melted and the noodles are cooked though, about 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the top is bubbly and browned.