Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Parmigina

I have had a Cooking Light cook book setting on my shelf for sometime now, like 6 years. Sadly it's been very underutilized as I have only prepared a small number of recipes from it, there's nothing wrong with the recipes I just never paid it much attention. But that changed this year for two reason's, one I realized that it's recipes are all designed to be light and healthy, and two the wife and I have both made new year resolutions to lose some weight. While flipping through the book I came across this recipe and I knew I had to try it.
The final result was delicious, juicy, and full of flavor. The best part is that a serving is only 312 calories which leaves plenty of room for a small bed wheat pasta or a side salad.

Ingredients
 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
 1/4 teaspoon paprika
 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
 6 (4 ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast
 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
 3 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed (I used some dried bread crumbs as I didn't have cornflakes, I doubt that it will change the calories much if any.)
 1 (26 ounce) bottle low-fat spaghetti sauce
 3/4 cup (3 ounce) preshredded part-skim moxxarella cheese
 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

 Directions
 1. Preheat oven to 350º
 2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge 1 chicken breast half in flour mixture. Dip in egg white; dred in cornflakes. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken, egg white, and cornflakes.
 3. Arrange chicken in a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until done.
 4. Place spaghetti cause in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake an addictions 5 minutes or until cheese melted. Yield: 6 servings ( serving size: 1 chicken breast and 1/2 cup sauce)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...