Thursday, December 23, 2010

Minestrone Stew

I've decided to try and make an effort to use my slow cookers more this winter, so I pulled out the one slow cooker cook book I have and dusted it off. The cook book is titled Best of Country Slow Cooker Recipes and looks like it was put together by the Crock Pot brand. But it's full of all kinds of different recipes and a few have you cooking things I wouldn't have thought of trying in a slow cooker. Here in Missouri we had a decent cold spell a couple of weeks ago and I was in the mood for something to really warm us up. I found the a recipe for minestrone stew, which made me laugh because of a Mickey Mouse  Club House episode where Minnie fixers her Minniestronie Stew; and all those with toddlers that watch it probably know the exact episode I'm talking about. My little girl liked it, so I would call it kid approved.
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (19 ounces) ready-to-serve minestrone soup
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (4 ounces) copped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...