Thursday, October 21, 2010

Black bean and Corn Salad

I'm a big fan of Guy Fieri! I think it's super cool that he's all about cooking and will fix just about anything. He really shows that what we choose to cook, eat and drink has no bearing on a person's masculinity (in this instance) or their identity; something I think happens a little to often in our society. Anyway back to the recipe, I found this recipe watching his show the other day and I just had to try it. As with Guy's style, it's full of flavor and is definitely a great summer side.


I must confess, the corn bread is Jiffy. I know it's from a box, but it's what I grew up with and it holds a special place in my heart.


Ingredients
4 ears corn, husks removed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced red bell pepper
3/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 up cider vinegar
1 (15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup snow peas, julienned (I omitted these by request)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper

Directions
Preheat the grill to medium.

Grill the corn until lightly charred, about 2 minutes, turning frequently. Transfer the corn to a cutting board and using a serrated knife remove the kernels. Set aside ( Due to the time of the season, I was unable to find corn on the cob and substituted with frozen corn kernels. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet on high heat until they were lightly browned and then set them aside.)

In a medium pan saute  over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, then the red bell pepper and the red onion. Saute for 2 minutes, then add the vinegar, beans and corn and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and the snow peas and saute for 1 minute more. Remove from the heat to a serving bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...