Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sweet Cornbread!!

I posted this recipe last Memorial Day when we had our low country boil. It was a great recipe, but I knew it wasn't quite sweet enough for my taste, so when I made it this time I was sure to make some subtle changes. I added an extra tablespoon of sugar, bringing the total to three instead of two, and added in a tablespoon of honey for good measure. The end result was spot on, and my wife who is not a big fan of cornbread had her fair share of seconds.

While this is probably not anything new to some, I found that I prefer crumbling in a piece of cornbread into my chili and soups instead of some bland saltine crackers. I hope some of you give it a try, you might just like it!
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil or melted butter

1. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. Add the 1 tbsp butter to a 10 inch cast iron skillet or a 9x1-1/2 inch round baking pan. Place in a 400ยบ oven about 3 minutes or until butter melts. Remove pan from oven; swirl butter in pan to coat bottom and sides of pan.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine eggs, milk, honey, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Pour batter into hot skillet or pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Serve warm.


Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...