Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Calzones

We love Calzone's, well my wife and I do, my daughter wasn't so big on it. I think it was due to not being a big fan of crust, and Calzone's are pretty much all crust. We did have a blast making these and I am definitely going to be buying a pizza stone exclusively for my UDS, because I would love to have on of these wood fired. I followed the pizza dough recipe, but simply put all my toppings on one half of the pizza dough and folded it in half to make a calzone. Then baked for the same amount of time, I believe I will try doing either an egg wash next time to try and brown up the outside a little more, I like a nice crunch to the crust on my calzones.
Pizza dough
1 pachage active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal
 Directions
Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add salt, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 1 minute.

 Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl, about 2 minutes. Knead on Speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.

 Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down.

 Brush 14-inch pizza pan with oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Press dough across bottom of pan, forming a collar around edge to hold toppings. Add toppings as desired. Bake at 450ºF for 15 to 20 minutes. As seen in the Kitchenaid Instructions and Recipes book
  Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...