Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blackberry Pie!

A few weekends ago the family and I went to pick fresh blackberries from a local grower. We had a blast and my little girl thought it was the coolest thing ever to be picking berries. Once we got home I needed to decide what to make with them. I initially had wanted to do blackberry cobbler outside in my dutch oven, but as the heat index was in the triple digits I opted instead for a blackberry pie. I used my usual butter pie crust recipe from Allrecipes.com and also used a blackberry pie recipe from the same website.
The final result was delicious! I've only made a few pie crusts with this recipe and I'm getting better at it, each one is a little flakier then that last. I love this recipe as it's easy to to throw together an only has a few ingredients.
Butter Flaky Pie Crust
I have prepared this recipe as is and doubled it with no problems or change in consistency.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
1/4 cup ice water

Directions
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours  or overnight.
2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.

Blackberry Pie
Ingredients
4 cups fresh blackberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tbsp milk
1/4 cup white sugar

Directions
1. Combine 3 1/2 cups berries with the sugar and flour. spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup berries on top of the sweetened berries, and cover with the top crust. Seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar(I omitted brushing the crust with milk and sprinkling with sugar as I am still trying to improve my skills on the basic pie crust).
2. Bake at 425 degree F for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F, and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.


Sig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...